internment camp

 Internment 100

“Internment at Banff”

Marking the 100th Anniversary of the official end of Canada’s First National Internment Operations, 1914–1920 from June 1-20, 2020. 

#Internment100 #WW1 #CanadianHistory #Forgotten

English

DAY 16: The Castle Mountain Internment Camp was established as a work camp and opened to accept internees on July 14, 1915. The first 60 internees arrived by train and were settled into tent quarters in a barbed wire compound. The camp was located at the foot of Castle Mountain near the unfinished end of the Banff to Lake Louise road (now the Bow Valley Parkway, Hwy 14.) The internees were assigned to work on that road using axes, picks and wheelbarrows.

The workday required eight hours of labor six days a week but the march to and from the work site sometimes stretched the work day into 13 hours. Conditions were harsh and supplies, including food, were scarce. There were frequent escape attempts. During the harsh winter months, the detainees were removed to the Banff Cave & Basin Internment Camp and housed in frame barracks until the weather permitted a return to Castle Mountain.

The camp was closed on 15 Jul 1917 and the remaining internees were removed to the Kapuskasing Internment Camp in Ontario. The internees had completed some 10 kilometers of road and part of the original Banff Springs golf course.
An excerpt from the “Castle Mountain Internment Camp” article found at http://www.fortwiki.com/Castle_Mountain_Internment_Camp

Today’s Feature:
The Legacy of Internment in Banff.

Additional information:

1) Song by Maria Dunn – In the Shadow of the Rockies https://www.mariadunn.com/…/w…/in-the-shadow-of-the-rockies/
2) The Camps: Cave and Basin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW2W8Iz0RLY
3) Cave and Basin Internment Exhibit opening – Kontakt TV
https://youtu.be/mXwrVH65pAM

Join us tomorrow:
DAY 17: June 17 “Official Recognition and Restitution”

French

Le camp d’internement de Castle Mountain a été créé comme camp de travail et ouvert pour accueillir des internés le 14 juillet 1915. Les 60 premiers internés sont arrivés par train et ont été installés dans des quartiers de tentes dans un complexe de barbelés. Le camp était situé au pied de Castle Mountain, près de l’extrémité inachevée de la route de Banff à Lake Louise (aujourd’hui la Bow Valley Parkway, Hwy 14). Les internés étaient affectés à des travaux sur cette route à l’aide de haches, de pics et de brouettes.

La journée de travail nécessitait huit heures de travail six jours par semaine, mais la marche pour se rendre au chantier et en revenir étirait parfois la journée de travail à 13 heures. Les conditions étaient difficiles et les fournitures, y compris la nourriture, étaient rares. Les tentatives d’évasion étaient fréquentes. Pendant les durs mois d’hiver, les détenus sont transférés au camp d’internement de Banff Cave & Basin et sont logés dans des baraquements en dur jusqu’à ce que le temps permette le retour à Castle Mountain.

Le camp fut fermé le 15 juillet 1917 et les détenus restants furent transférés au camp d’internement de Kapuskasing, dans l’Ontario. Les internés avaient terminé une dizaine de kilomètres de route et une partie du terrain de golf original de Banff Springs.
Un extrait de l’article “Castle Mountain Internment Camp”
http://www.fortwiki.com/Castle_Mountain_Internment_Camp

Reportage d’aujourd’hui
L’héritage de l’internement à Banff

Information supplémentaire

1) Chanson de Maria Dunn – In the Shadow of the Rockies
https://www.mariadunn.com/…/w…/in-the-shadow-of-the-rockies/
2) The Camps: Cave and Basin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW2W8Iz0RLY
3) Inauguration de l’exposition sur l’internement à Cave and Basin – Kontakt
https://youtu.be/mXwrVH65pAM

Rejoignez-nous demain
Le 17 juin “Reconnaissance officielle et restitution”

Ukrainian

Інтернування 100. День 16 – Інтернування у Банфі.

Табір інтернування на Замковій горі був створений як робочий табір і був відкритий для прийому інтернованих 14 липня 1915 р. Перші 60 інтернованих прибули потягом, і були розселені у наметових приміщеннях, обнесених колючим дротом. Табір розташовувався біля підніжжя Замкової гори поблизу недобудованого кінця дороги з Банфу на озеро Луїзи (зараз – проїзд долини Боу, траса 14). Інтерновані повинні були працювати на цій дорозі за допомогою сокир та тачок.

Робочий день тривав вісім годин, шість днів на тиждень, але добирання до та з місця роботи іноді розтягував робочий день до 13 годин. Умови були суворими, а запаси, включаючи їжу, були мізерними. Бували часті спроби втечі. Під час суворих зимових місяців ув’язнених вивозили до табору інтернування Банф Кейв і Бейсин та розміщували у каркасних казармах до тих пір, аж поки погода не дозволяла повернутися до Замкової гори.

Табір закрили 15 липня 1917 р., а інтернованих перевели до табору інтернування Капускейсінг в Онтаріо. Ув’язнені проклали близько 10 кілометрів дороги та частину поля для гольфу Банф-Спрингз.

Уривок із статті «Табір для інтернування на Замковій горі» знайдено на вебсайті http://www.fortwiki.com/Castle_Mountain_Internment_Camp

Сьогодні у відео сюжеті – Інтернування в Банфі.

Додаткова інформація:

1) Пісня Марії Данн «У затінку Скелястих гір» https://www.mariadunn.com/…/w…/in-the-shadow-of-the-rockies/
2) «Табори: Кейв і Бейсин» https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW2W8Iz0RLY
3) Відкриття Кейв і Бейсин виставки про інтернування – Kontakt TV
https://youtu.be/mXwrVH65pAM

Долучайтесь до нас завтра. У нашому наступному випуску «Інтернування 100»:
17 червня, «Офіційне визнання та реституція».

Follow us: